August 30, 2011

Setting Up Shop

One thing I really enjoy is creating atmosphere. Before I married my dh I dreamed of owning my own coffee shop. It wasn't that I loved coffee or that I enjoyed being with interesting people all day, no, it was creating atmosphere that drew people in which excited and intrigued me. So to begin this new school year we have made some changes in our atmosphere, and of course I am loving it!

Several things pushed for the changes...my dh wanted to make his office into a work room so he and the boys could make more projects in there. Where would he put his office then??? hmmm If we built loft beds the boys could put their school desks under their beds and my dh could have the school room for his office. We decided this made alot of sense, so the school is being disembodied so to speak, which I am all for, and office space is being created. I like the organization the school room gave us last year but also I simply love doing school all over the house. It is a real expression of a learning life style which we all love. It is great to have a work room for the boys, who have lots of projects in their heads they will love working on after school with dad. And loft beds that is too cool! (my dh is designing and making these himself) No more desk inspection for us, now it will be "SPACE INSPECTION. I hope this means their room will be a bit more tidy. ;) LOL right.

Since my dh was moving, he graciously invited me to move my office into the school room as well. Previously I have been working out of a small corner in our bedroom. Cool, but not if you want to work late at night or early in the morning and your dh is trying to sleep. I am thrilled to be sharing a space with him. Our desks are back to back and I still ended up with a small area in the office were we can do part of our schooling. Check out the new arrangement. Our school has become an office/school room.

The first thing I did was to change out the red and white striped curtains that hung in the school room and put them into the boys bedroom and snag their blue curtains for the new office. Then I covered the work table in a fun orange colored fabric a friend of mine gave me. I spent $2 on the plastic to cover it. I love orange and blue together it reminds me of Vincent Van Gogh. We use the work table for group lessons and art projects.

At Office Depot I found some strips of cork board for $5 and glued them to an old 2x2 board from our backyard. My dh husband drilled holes in the wall and mounted it for me. This is our hall of fame wall where the "best of the best" work is hung for all to see and admire. (Mostly me)

Next I created a schedule chart to help the boys know they where in the day. I used some 3x5 cards and an old white board I ruined last year with permanent markers. The board cost $10 and the 3x5 cards next to nothing. I spent a little time making them pictorial as well as including words so they can read them. Now the boys can navigate through the day with less questions to me.


At Ross's Dress For Less I found a simple table easel for $2 to display art work of the artist we are studying or a related book.

The map of Egypt T.J. and I water colored a few months ago. It is a blank map we plan to add info to as we do map drills this year.

I spent less than $20 and we have a new office space for us both, a work room in the making, school happening everywhere and potentially cool loft beds! 

5 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    How delightful to see your creative work space! It looks like an atmosphere of love and learning.
    You just have to post pics of those loft beds when they are finished.

    Ring true,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I miss what the hanging metal tray was? Is that the 'old' white board?
    Love the way your office/school room looks :) We've done school in a designated spot, all over the house, in one particular room (living room) and soon we will be switching to a 'school room' (just a room that will hold all school books/supplies). But I'm sure that school will still be done every where :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I love the idea of your schedule chart, and making it fun looking for the boys. I might try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking for an idea to display art work. I think your cork strip is just what I need!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Coming from the Charlotte Mason carnival.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey this is great! I loved having a look at your school room cum office! Simple yet brilliant! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete